A New Spin on Butternut Squash Soup: It’s Cleanse-Friendly and Kid-Friendly too!
This rich soup is high in betacarotene, full of healthy fats, antioxidants, anti-inflammatory nutrients, and so delicious.
And of course, as a fellow mom, Carole has made this recipe kid-friendly too. Our kids all ask for more!
Give it a try and please let me know in the comments below what you think!
Ingredients (Yields 6 servings)
- Butternut squash
- Bulb of garlic
- 3 carrots
- 1 medium onion
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 8 cups veggie or chicken stock
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil
- Himalayan rock salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Cut butternut squash in half and scoop out and discard seeds. Rub inside with coconut oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Lay face down on natural parchment paper-covered baking sheet.
- Place whole bulb of garlic on same baking sheet.
- Chop carrots into 1-2 inch chunks, sprinkle with melted coconut oil, and add to baking sheet.
- Roast everything at 400F for 30 minutes (or until everything is soft).
- Meanwhile, sautee onions in large saucepan with 1 tsp coconut oil until translucent. Add cumin, turmeric, pepper and salt while continuing to stir.
- Remove squash and garlic from oven. Scoop out their flesh to remove from skins. Add squash, garlic, and carrots to the onion saucepan.
- Add stock and bring to boil.
- Allow to simmer 15 minutes then cool.
- Once cooled, transfer soup to food processor or blender and puree until smooth.
- Transfer soup back into large saucepan, add coconut milk and stir.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.